Final Missing U.S. Soldier Found Dead in Lithuania After Weeklong Search
- Victor Nwoko
- 22 hours ago
- 3 min read

The last missing U.S. soldier from a military training accident in Lithuania has been found dead, concluding a weeklong search effort, the U.S. military announced Tuesday. The incident, which resulted in the deaths of four service members, occurred at the Gen. Silvestras Žukauskas training ground in Pabradė, where their armored vehicle became submerged in a peat bog.
The bodies of three soldiers were recovered Monday after a large-scale search involving U.S., Polish, and Lithuanian forces. The Army identified them as Sgt. Jose Duenez Jr., 25, of Joliet, Illinois; Sgt. Edvin F. Franco, 25, of Glendale, California; and Pfc. Dante D. Taitano, 21, of Dededo, Guam. The name of the fourth soldier has not yet been released as family notifications are still ongoing.

The soldiers, all part of the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, were conducting a tactical training exercise when they and their M88 Hercules recovery vehicle went missing. “This past week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of an unbearable pain with the loss of our final Dogface Soldier,” said Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division. “Though we have received some closure, the world is darker without them.”
The search took place in dense forests and treacherous swamp terrain near Pabradė, about six miles from the Belarusian border. The 63-ton vehicle was discovered on March 26 submerged in 15 feet of water, but it took several days to extract it. Lithuanian armed forces provided helicopters, drones, and heavy equipment, while U.S. Navy divers worked through zero-visibility conditions to attach cables for recovery. When only three bodies were initially found, divers expanded their search in the surrounding area until the fourth soldier was located.

Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa, expressed gratitude to allied nations for their assistance. “I can’t say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies — and our own Sailors, Airmen, and experts from the Corps of Engineers — have enabled us to find and bring home our Soldiers,” Donahue said. “This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.”
The Army highlighted the service and dedication of the fallen soldiers. Duenez, an M1 Abrams tank system maintainer with over seven years in the Army, had previously deployed to Poland and Germany. His commander, Capt. Madyson K. Wellens, described him as “always the first to arrive and the last to leave, greeting every challenge with a smile and a readiness to support anyone who required assistance.”

Franco, also an M1 Abrams tank system maintainer, served for more than six years, with deployments to Korea and Germany. Wellens said Franco’s “infectious smile and genuine joy in being with his team were matched only by the tenacity and drive. He never asked more of his soldiers than he was willing to give himself — a true testament to his character.”
Taitano, who had been in the Army for nearly two years, was on his first deployment. Capt. Matthew Lund, another 5th Squadron commander, described him as “the spark of the team. He wore a smile on his face no matter the environment or task and constantly brought the team together with his charisma and laughter.”

The soldiers were part of the approximately 3,500-member brigade deployed in January for a nine-month rotation under Operation Atlantic Resolve, which supports NATO allies following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. “This loss is simply devastating,” said Norrie. “We are wrapping our arms around the families and loved ones of our Soldiers during this difficult time.”
Comments